Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Tell Me Who's Watchin'?

First off, you should watch this. See if you can spot the money you could be saving if you switched to Geico.



I know the video may be corny and low budget, but as a marketing major I'm drawn to all advertising curiosities. And low budget or not, it's hilarious.

Now, on to other business.

One fond pass-time of mine is to watch the movies. Growing up, my father and I would always watch the new films as they would come out (we still do). I've tried to get out as much as I can to the theaters lately, though this has been hampered by my lack of cash flow. Nevertheless, I got out to see two movies lately...

RECENTLY OUT

The A-Team


It would be dishonest of me to claim that I grew up watching the original show, but I've seen enough clips and references to be able to appreciate a remake. If nothing else, I know the iconic opening credits. I have to say, this was a pretty darn good movie. It managed to find the golden balance between the ridiculous and the campy. Also, the A-Team of the movie was lead by Liam Neeson, and, let's be honest, he spends all of his time in movies kicking butt. There are few movies that I would be willing to watch twice in theaters, but this would be one of them.

The Karate Kid


Another good remake. Certainly worth the watch. I had to roll my eyes at some things though...
  1. Looks like Will Smith couldn't kick the habit of having someone do a rap number after the end of a video he was (indirectly) involved in. Stay at the end of the movie to hear little Jaden Smith drop some sick verses with--wait, really? Justin Bieber?! Oh that's some bull... Responsible dads don't let their sons promote or profit from "Bieber Fever."
  2. These kids are wayyyy to little. I think that the kids who were in the original movie were all in high school, so they were somewhere in their teens. Dre (the new Kung-Fu Kid) is 12. It's hard to become engaged in Dre's love interest with a shy and musically gifted Chinese girl when you feel like a pedophile for watching the two of them kiss.
  3. Slightly related to #2: The fighting is absurd. I actually winced watching the Kung-Fu scenes in the movie, partially because the hits were extremely realistic and partially because THE KIDS ARE IN THEIR TWEENS. What happened to the ethics Barney taught us? You didn't see the big purple dinosaur land a devastating kick to his enemy's chest which would be sure to cause a fractured rib and internal bleeding. It was like the original Karate Kid meets Never Back Down. At times the "bad guys"--the lead adverse love interest of the Girl plus his two main thugs--seemed hard to believe, as they came off very much as snotty rich kids. That is, until they laid Jaden Smith out on the apartment playground like he was wet laundry out to dry.
COMING SOON: What I most want to see!

Trailers for coming movies that I have to watch...

Tron


When this movie is released in IMAX 3D peoples heads will explode. The CGI is pristine beyond belief. The nerd in me is going into cardiac arrest with excitement.

The Last Airbender


Okay, well at least M. Night. Shyamalan isn't making more horror movies with odd twists at the moment. Based on a popular animated series from--guess where?--Nickelodeon, this looks baller.

Despicable Me


A Supervillian with delusions of grandeur? Doesn't sound like me. My grandeur isn't an delusion.

Scott Pilgram vs. The World


It's a video game...movie. But not a movie based on a video game. A movie BASED ON AWESOME. The E3 2010 video game trailer for this movie is so cool it gets added too, below:


Enough for now. Let's move on.

COMING SOON FOR GAMES: Why I might trade gaming for sleep as my non-library activities this year!

My other love is gaming. I like games in general, but I don't often find myself willing to finance Microsoft's bid to take back the world from Google by buying games for my XBOX 360. That may change as E3 is currently running and I'm seeing a whole lot of gaming in my future.

Halo: Reach



It's Halo. Enough said.

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood


Because, let's be honest, who doesn't want to shove a hidden blade into his or her enemies sometimes?

Portal 2


The Coolest Game Ever Made RETURNS! And yes, I mean it's even cooler than Halo. SmartArt, I know you think I'm obsessed, but...well, no I am.

Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit


Being the car enthusiast that you are, RIA, I expect you to buy this game.

And, because I'm tired of finding and formatting YouTube links, we'll adjourn.

1 comment:

  1. I'm def looking forward to Tron, Despicable Me, and Scott Pilgrim. So much potential. Oh so much. I watched part of the Karate Kid before I fell asleep last night and it's solid. I was impressed with Jaden Smith.

    ReplyDelete

This blog is updated approximately whenever I feel like it. Those of you who expect some kind of schedule will be sorely disappointed, and probably don't realize how scatterbrained I am.

© TheSharklord. Yes, I reserve my rights. Look, touch, but do not steal. Or I will find you.