Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Are We There Yet?

Not too long ago, I was Facebooked by a friend of mine, who I shall name CrazyCanadian, because she is, well, a Crazy Canadian. Perhaps it may aid you to think of her as part frat boy, part socialite, part genius, and part just insane. But in a good way. Usually. When she's not getting me thrown out of places. (Yeah, I'm looking at you. =P) She pointed out that I currently had a blawg that had nothing about law school. In my defense, I'm not actually in law school, which means that I don't have much by way of up-to-the-minute content that some CrazyCanadian some people may want to hear.

At this point I'm sitting in the back seat, playing with my game boy and idly looking up on occasion and asking "Are We There Yet?" I know, of course, the answer is no, because the car's still moving and I haven't caught sight of anyplace that I'd particularly want to be. My lease won't start until the early days of August, and, as such, I'm simply crossing day's off of the calendar, waiting for the day to head on down to The South and pick up my key.

Till then, I've been occupying myself with learning new dishes to cook* (such as Teriyaki Salmon and Shrimp Fettuccine Alfredo), spending exorbitant funds on UVA Law Apparel (Under Armour is too expensive >.<), working on my DDR skills, and reading law school related materials turned up by my mother. Currently I'm reading a book concerning how to do well on law school exams.

Despite whatever lack of eagerness I brought to the affair of reading what looked prima facie (heck yeah, I know Latin) boring as heck, I'm actually really finding it interesting. Which is making me start to wonder: is this how gunners are born? Rather than genetically bred to walk among and terrorize the normal law students in some deep dark government facility, did they just start reading up early on stuff and actually start to like it?

I find it unlikely. My perspective so far is that it's not necessarily the acquisition of knowledge or even the demonstration of said knowledge that makes a gunner a "gunner." I think it's all about the way one goes about it. So, while I do find what I'm reading in this particular book to be quite useful and engaging, that doesn't mean I'm going to go and condescendingly look down on everyone who doesn't use or agree with my methods.** I will, of course, be judging you inwardly.

I think that I'll walk in to my first day of class very prepared (after all, I'll have had nothing else to do with the previous 2.5 months). I don't think I'll fear Cold Calling, will find The Reading all that bad (which isn't to say it'll be fast or easy), or will have a hard time keeping up with Class Discussion. Odds are, I'll probably wind up sitting in the front of the class, because it keeps me focused (and goodness knows, the Demons of Distraction on the Internet are everywhere)***. I'll raise my hand a lot and participate because it helps me remember the class material. I'll be doing everything they say gunners do. But I'll do it nicely.

I will be the non-evil gunner. Because, honestly, the gunner who isn't evil is actually just a kid who gets an A. And it's about time I started getting some more A's.

At least that's what I tell myself, as I prepare to scratch another day off the calendar and wait for the end of July.


~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
* PS: Ladies, if you want a guy who knows how to cook and clean and will be future Dictator of the World, feel free to email me at TheSharklord[at]Gmail.Com to set up a date. First 10 women to respond get their name on a country, in Sharky's New World Order. Note: This offer is not valid to SmartArt, RIA, or CrazyCanadian. SmartArt, you won't be able to appreciate having your name on a country as I will have you locked immediately in a dungeon where they only play Ke$ha on repeat 24 hours a day. RIA, you don't need any additional fodder for your already inflated sense of self-worth ("I can't be expected to drive!" "Give me your law school acceptances!" "Buy me a Bugatti"). CC, I feel like you'll just ignore me and do whatever you like anyhow...

** Those who fail to comply with my methods will, ultimately, be forced to live in dungeons after I've established my New World Order, which, more than likely, will be after I graduate law school.

*** Don't lie to yourself. You spent at least two minutes on one of those links before finishing my blog post, didn't you?

3 comments:

  1. ROFL! 'nuff said.

    ReplyDelete
  2. randy have u seen autoadmit.com?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yeah, but it's pretty awful. None of those sites is particularly healthy for those who are obsessive, but I'd say that TLS has more reliable content/less ridiculousness/slightly more helpful people than AA. Which is like the Mos Eisley of law school forums, minus Han Solo (who shot first).

    ReplyDelete

This blog is updated approximately whenever I feel like it. Those of you who expect some kind of schedule will be sorely disappointed, and probably don't realize how scatterbrained I am.

© TheSharklord. Yes, I reserve my rights. Look, touch, but do not steal. Or I will find you.