Friday, June 4, 2010

Everything You Thought You Knew...Is Wrong

"You don't sound like a law student." 

Something like that was what my mother calmly informed me the other morning. I suppose that's not entirely inaccurate. I do have a propensity to ramble on about things, often I fail to get to the point. Perhaps that's something I should work on.

In a continuing effort to become the Ultimate Law Student, I decided to procure the infamous Scott Turow book, One L. I haven't opened it up yet (just bought the thing yesterday), but from what I've heard in passing, it'll be a horrifying portal into the world of a beleaguered law student who is making his way though 1L at Harvard.

Sounds like a fun read!

I can't say that I know exactly what will comprise the book, but I'm sure it'll be dramatic. Another similar book, for someone who is looking for things of this vein is Ivy Briefs, which is more contemporary, and features a student at Columbia Law.

In Other News, Filling the Apartment: I Can Haz Furniture?

After a truly startling outlay of money in a truly remarkably short period of time, I'm truly pleased to be truly receiving the first of my truly awesome furniture. Packed into extremely heavy boxes, I think it'll be extremely fun to set it all up; however, just like Christmas, all of the boxes have to be undisturbed until I arrive in Charlottesville. Dad has been kind enough to not be opposed to securing power tools for me, which is good, because it's probably going to take a day and a half to set up the furniture in the place. There are perhaps some among you [pointed look] who might consider my furniture choices to be extreme, but you were probably the same people who were incredulous of me when I simply decided to install some computer speakers for my PC...Don't judge me. Let me have my super-futon in peace. =P

On the Friend Front...

I should start introducing you to my friends. Though I'm increasingly wondering how anonymous this blog may be (as it's read by so few people that I can be fairly certain that most of you read it b/c you've been referred by something connected to my actual person and I'm not terribly guarded about the details of my life), I will certainly allow my friends to remain nameless.

By which I mean I'm going to start coming up with nicknames for you guys. Eventually I might do bios, but anyhow, here's what I've been up to.

Anyhow, since I've nothing better to do, I've been keeping up with old acquaintances.


Flyboy: The Soon-To-Be-Naval Aviator

Went over to Flyboy's house a few days ago, and learned that I may not be too bad at shooting things, at least with a BB gun. Flyboy has a magnificent backyard--the woods of his town--which though its overgrown foliage, big trees, and copious amounts of poison ivy would make a great place to shoot a jungle war movie (minus actual jungle-climate plant life). Flyboy's little brother, who we'll call Frank, Bill, or whatever else Flyboy and his older brother are calling him at any given time (don't ask why, they just give him random names) went out to a wooden jungle gym that was built out in the woods a way from the back porch and strung up cans at varying lengths, creating the perfect shooting range for me to hone my skills before I descend deeper into The South where everyone shoots things (or so the rumors go). I have to say, for not having used a BB gun before, my aim wasn't half bad. Maybe I should drop LS and start playing Duck Hunt professionally.

SmartArt: The Art History Girl

Have we hung out, lately? No. Why? Because she's been running around Europe looking at museums. I love you. But I hate you.

RIA: The Ridiculously Infuriating Asian

What have we been up to? Good-natured bickering. Essentially that's all we do, it's just defined by the places, times, and methods we do it. A note to you, RIA: 1.) Un-restrict your number. It's confusing to me. 2.) You WILL learn to text message. 3.) STUDY FOR THE LSAT. Honestly, must I chain you to the table? Hmm...I feel like I saw a website for that kind of thing... 4.) I updated the blog! Happy??? 5.) Don't bother complaining about your inclusion in this post, you must be this tall to post comments to this blog. [Holds arm at 4 feet]

NewYorker: The Kid From...New York.

Got dinner with NewYorker after he got of work yesterday. It's something of a tradition of ours, to eat, and commiserate about law school. It's truly good for the psyche but bad for the budget: going to Pod every time one of us got a response back from a school was an expensive proposition, especially considering NewYorker applied to like 50 billion schools.

Anyhow, remember these names and more to come...I'm sure they'll be back.

4 comments:

  1. nice bLAWg, randy

    lololol get it?!??!??

    ReplyDelete
  2. I started One L last summer, made it about 1/3 of the way through, and got sick of Turow's whining. It only takes so many pages before the reader realizes that law school kind of sucks. /reading

    Then I picked up A Short History of Nearly Everything. If you haven't read it yet, read it before school starts! Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think comic books are better preparation for law school than One L. Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ooh, A Short History of Nearly Everything sounds like my kind of book. I haven't even Amazon-ed a summary of it, but I liked to be reaffirmed: Because I know nearly everything already, it's always nice to be reassured by reading a summary of what I already know that this is indeed still the case.

    Hmmm...a book full of whining, though? Is it funny whining? Can I at least laugh at his suffering? I liked Ivy Briefs because the writer had a good sense of humor and was neurotic in a way that was vaguely familiar...

    Lastly: That would be clever, Jack, if Blawg wasn't already a word in common use on the internets. Here's a quarter: please play again. =P

    ReplyDelete

This blog is updated approximately whenever I feel like it. Those of you who expect some kind of schedule will be sorely disappointed, and probably don't realize how scatterbrained I am.

© TheSharklord. Yes, I reserve my rights. Look, touch, but do not steal. Or I will find you.