Sunday, July 4, 2010

Oh...uh...hi! How long have you been standing there?

So I went away for a little bit to handle some things in Real Life. Strangely, doing so has left me feeling slightly more unaccomplished than when I embarked, mostly because I haven't been on the slightest bit of a schedule.

Alas, I've got a bunch of things to get caught up on/start, like that idea for making a running narrative of my past experiences, a training manual ("MAUI: Black Edition" is coming, I promise! Soon!), my gunnerish pre-law school reading, and DDR. Honestly, what is my world coming to when I can't block off an hour and some to play my favorite games with hyperactive electronic music?

And the countdown to law school continues. One month from today I will be heading down to Charlottesville to pick up my keys! I'm excited. And so is everyone on Top Law Schools.

TLS Forums: Once you go TLS, you don't go...hmmm...nothing rhymes with that...
Never has there been a more retched hive of scum and villainy than the TLS forums, where it seems that every single type-A law student and law school hopeful comes together to talk about anything. No matter how minute the detail, no matter how trivial the squabble, no matter how offhand the comment from the admissions rep, there is always a team of TLSers waiting to respond like a SWAT team to LS gossip.

I, of course, being cut from a higher cloth than those peons don't stoop to perusing or commenting on those boards

Usually.

Sometimes.

On occasion...

Uhm...Moving On
They don't tell you how addicting it all is: the whole law school application and attendance process is incredibly addicting for a certain group of people. Those people tend to happen to be the people going to law school. No matter how much some given student complains about the LSAT, the waiting, the applications, the more waiting...some part of them gets s strange thrill out of it. Perhaps it's because we as aspiring law students are competitive by nature. The law school applications process is nothing but a very complex game which each of us tries to outmaneuver the other in. I have to wonder if that's part of the draw of LawSchoolNumbers.com. We love keeping score, and having a running list of statistics on the competition in a heady addicting reality (just ask anyone who sits at LSN for hours hitting the reload button for their graphs in between the refresh button for every status checker known to man).  It's my suspicion that if you asked a law student that was honest with himself and seemed to be truly enjoying law school, he would say that the whole process had some fun moments.

In other news, I need to start thinking about "final preparation" kinds of things, including securing my utilities and buying my books. Unfortunately, there is very little about law school which involves getting money, rather than losing it. Indeed, now I count it as a win if I can keep all of my expenditures on a given "buy stuff for school" day down to a reasonable $100 or less. But when it even costs $10 to have the Undergrad send your transcript so that the law school can know that I didn't make my degree on Photoshop, it seems like that might be a lost cause.

On the Identity Crisis
Fellow blawger idwsj found out that his shadowy identity isn't as shadowy as he might have suspected when, after a post commenting on being anonymous, several members of his section informed him that, yes, they knew who he was. Idwsj made the good point though that it may be slightly awkward for people who you don't expect to to know who you are, but really it's not the end of the world so long as your future high power law office friends can't randomly Google your name and bring up a post titled something like "Bodies of Law: Which UVA Law Hotties Trigger Strict Scrutiny and Which Should be Rendered Undateable Per Se" [note: the first two parts of that joke were lifted from Con Luv, because they took every potentially funny thing I already knew about law and made it into a music video, reducing my already weak material into nonexistent material =P]

I feel like I probably won't encounter too much of a problem with that, considering pretty much noone reads my blog except for the people who know me who I've compelled to read it (like you, Sister of SmartArt).

Anyhow, I promise I'll be back on schedule again soon, and you can all revel in my awesomeness yet again.

Best,

~ TheSharklord

No comments:

Post a Comment

This blog is updated approximately whenever I feel like it. Those of you who expect some kind of schedule will be sorely disappointed, and probably don't realize how scatterbrained I am.

© TheSharklord. Yes, I reserve my rights. Look, touch, but do not steal. Or I will find you.